Go Back   Fallen Angels > General Discussion > Anything Goes! > Tech Talk

new problem, maybe someone can help...
Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #1  
N0de
Dominating!

Default new problem, maybe someone can help...

While I was having the problems with graphics in UT3 I noticed my graphics card temps hit 100*c under a load from wow... That seamed a bit high, really high to me. However it ran bad but still worked. I shut down my pc later on that day and rerouted some wires to free up some air in the case(Antec sonata). When I went to turn on the pc there was nothing but a noise that sounded like a TV on mute then a burning smell followed soon after. I thought I had fried the psu so I swapped it out for a little 300watt unit and the mobo still didn't power up but had the same sound.

After some digging I figured the original PSU was bad but everything else should be ok. So I picked up a 500watt psu thinking it would be enough and installed it. Still no boot, so I reset the cmos and it booted.

Heres the problem, I have power to my usb ports(front and back) but no data transfer. My mx518 lights up but then I can't move the mouse with it. My keyboard only works if I plug it into the PS/2 port but won't work with the USB port.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #2  
IceBlade
Forum Nazi

When you re-routed the wires it's possible you pulled some of your USB mobo connectors.

Other than that I don't know squat about computers. Sorry :(

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #3  
N0de
Dominating!

theres only a wire for the front usb ports. That one is good but the others are attached directly to the board. All the psu connectors are in the right place.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #4  
IceBlade
Forum Nazi

Try updating your drivers?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #5  
ITH
Killing Spree!

check the wiring that u moved, sounds like u have a short in the wire somewhere and it could have fried something on your mobo. if there was a small break in one of the wires and u moved it close to the case it would have shorted itself out through your case. but a high resistance short will cause some really hot temps, and some really funky problems on different things.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #6  
N0de
Dominating!

I thought of that but I've checked and rechecked everything. The usb ports are getting power but no data for some reason. I could have burned something up, I know the old psu is burnt up but I think that was due to the increased load of the x1900xtx over the x800xt that was in there. I threw a usb pci card in there for now since I have discovered a larger problem. Also all my drivers and my bios is up to date.

I have yet another problem, my x1900xtx is running very slow. Like my x800xt will keep pace with it fps wise. In wow(im d/l 3dmark 06 to check that) in stormwind I get 20ish fps and it dips to 9fps weather I turn everything up or down. Max fps I have seen is 35 with settings in the middle area. I know my x800xt ran 60fps almost solid outside of town and in the 30s in town but even it is seeming held back. My temp problems are gone on the gfx card and im 99% sure it has enough power(500w 2-12v rails @ 18a each).

GPU clock: 499.5mhz(should be 6xx)
Memory clock: 594/1188(should be 750/1500)
memory bus: 256bit(good)
pixel pipelines: 16(I thought it should be higher but Im not 100%)

My x800xt runs a 499 and 499 respectivly. Im not too sure why the x1900 is runnign so poor. I have to run atitool just to get it to run stock speeds and even then it heats up a little unless I override the fan control.

Anyone have ideas? I do have the 7.12 drivers and I thought I cleared out the old ones good enough... maybe not.